Thanksgiving is synonymous with family, friends and an overload of food. So, when it comes to dessert this holiday, skip the pie and substitute with these 5 healthier alternatives. Jenna Fernandes, CEO of CareBooker.com, the only FREE “Open Table” of family and pet care services, offers lighter desserts that are sure to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth without any guilt this Thanksgiving.
From holiday staples to fall favorites with creative twists, here are five great recipes to try with your family:
1. The Caramel Apple Bar: This is an activity the whole family can participate in making. Start an assembly line by cutting apples into slices and inserting a candy stick for easier decorating. Once the prep is complete, dip the apples in chocolate or caramel and arrange the family’s favorite toppings such as sprinkles, coconut or crushed candy pieces to top this sweet treat.
2. Turkey Muffin: Another great dessert to get kids creative with this fun treat for Thanksgiving. First, bake your favorite pumpkin muffin recipe and prep the decorating ingredients. Create the turkey feathers with sliced red and green apples, cut a small beak from a thin slice of carrot and finish off with squeezable icing for eyes. This simple recipe will turn this dessert into an art project.
3. Yogurt-dipped strawberries: Yogurt-dipped strawberries are a favorite, guilt free dessert that includes healthy Greek yogurt and strawberries. Greek yogurt is high in protein and offers a thicker consistency perfect for dipping. Dip the strawberries in Greek yogurt, set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and allow them to set in the freezer for one hour before enjoying with friends and family.
4. Baked Apples: Apples are always a fall favorite and this baked apple recipe will become an instant hit on any family dinner table or dessert party tray this season. After preheating the oven to 350 degrees, slice apples and place in a baking dish. Finish off with a dusting of brown sugar and cinnamon for added fall flavor and bake for 15 minutes.
5. “Cocoa-Nut” Bananas: This healthy treat is a perfect alternative to the traditional fall flavors. Start with slicing bananas down the middle. Roll each slice in cocoa powder and shake off the excess. Finish these healthy treats by rolling the slices in unsweetened coconut flakes and arrange on a fun tray.