With slick roads, icy conditions and heavy traffic, winter travel can be a difficult time on the road. This is especially true when traveling with young children, which is why Sarah Haverstick, Evenflo’s Safety Advocate and certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, has come up with the below essential tips to ensure safe traveling with children this winter season.
Winter Travel Tips from Evenflo’s Safety Advocate and certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, Sarah Haverstick
1. Baby, it’s cold outside! Remember to take off bulky coats before placing your child in his/her car seat, as coats can compress during a crash. Coats can be worn backwards over the harness, after the child has been secured. You can also keep extra blankets in the car to place over your child, once they are secured.
· Car seat option: Evenflo Platinum Protection Series
o This line of car seats features NASA-developed Outlast technology, a temperature regulating fabric that keeps children comfortable during hot and cold weather by actively absorbing and storing hot and cold temperatures and releasing as needed. The Platinum Series line includes the All-In-One seat, accommodating a child from 5-110 lbs., as well as a Convertible and Harnessed Booster seat.
2. Traveling by plane this holiday season? It is recommended that all children use age-appropriate car seats on planes – even kids under 2. Check with your carrier, as some offer discounted rates to purchase seats for children under 2, and any restrictions it may have about car seat use in flight. Also, check the label on your car seat to make sure it is FAA approved.
· Car seat option: Evenflo ProComfort Protection Series
o Available as an All-In-One, Convertible, and Belt-Positioning Booster, this line of seats are made with an innovative Gel-Matrix cushion that helps reduce pressure point build up. High pressure build up can create extreme discomfort during a long trip or car ride, which is why equalizing pressure points plays a vital role in keeping children comfortable and safe.
3. Traveling by car this holiday season? Did you know that approximately 70% of car seats are installed incorrectly? Make sure to have your car seat checked by a certified car seat technician before you hit the road for the holidays.
· Car seat option: Evenflo SureSafe System
o With the new SureSafe System, your favorite Evenflo All-In-One, Convertible, and Infant seats now come equipped with Latch Guides and Quick Connectors that increase proper installation by 2x. The Latch Guides attach to the hidden lower anchors of the vehicle where they remain, simply click to attach the seats Quick Connectors for a safe and easy installation.