With the Lenten season upon us, many may seek to turn to fast food and dining out to avoid eating meat on Fridays. This year, why not try this simple at-home recipe that won’t break your diet, or the bank?
Kontos Foods has crafted a Mediterranean Seafood Salad recipe that can be served on a pita to make sticking to your Lenten commitment a little bit easier. This recipe is a healthy alternative to pizza or fried food and, if you know you’ll be in a rush, you can make it ahead of time for a quick and easy Friday night preparation.
Mediterranean Seafood Salad on a Pita
Vegetable (such as eggplant or zucchini)
Scallops or Shrimp
Medium Onion, chopped
Garlic cloves, more or less to taste
Salt & pepper
Cooked couscous (or cooked rice)
Kontos Pita or Flatbread
- Cut up vegetables into small cubes. Slice the mushrooms.
- If using shrimp, peel, de-vein, and cut into small cubes.
- In a small amount of olive oil, sauté the onion and the garlic until the onion is soft, but not quite transparent.
- Add the vegetables and mushrooms. Sauté until they are almost soft. Taste and add salt, pepper, and whatever spices suit you (i.e., oregano, basil or crushed red pepper).
- Add the scallops or shrimp and cook until just done, about a two or three-minutes. Scallops will turn opaque and shrimp will turn pink. Do NOT overcook.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the cooked couscous and mix thoroughly.
As an appetizer – cut the warmed Kontos Flatbread into wedges, top with the salad, and serve.
“This recipe is great for Lent because you can transform it to suit any occasion, or satisfy any craving, without disrupting Lenten guidelines,” said Steve Kontos, vice president of Kontos Foods. “You have the freedom to serve it as an appetizer, or an entrée, or to substitute your favorite seafood or vegetable, without sacrificing great taste.”
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, NJ-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos together with his son Steven, who together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. To learn more, visit www.kontos.com, or call (973) 278-2800.