Here’s an idea they’ll love: Petite French Toast made with mini flatbreads. It’s simple to make, and the kids can have fun dolloping on their favorite toppings – maple syrup, jam or jelly, fresh berries, chopped cling peaches, or Nutella.
“This breakfast is not only wholesome – made with warmed bread, fresh eggs, milk and a healthy dose of fruit – but it’s also lots of fun for kids to assemble themselves,” said Chef Demetrios Haralambatos, executive chef at Kontos Foods. Chef suggests this recipe and toppings for Petite French Toast, using Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads.
- 20 pieces of Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads
- 1 cup of whole milk (use half-and-half for a “richer” French Toast)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Assorted toppings: Maple syrup, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, chopped cling peaches, whipped topping, Nutella, chopped nuts, raspberry jam, or orange marmalade.
- Place assorted toppings in bowls and set on table.
- Break eggs and combine with milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk vigorously. Pour mixture into flat-bottomed baking dish or pie plate.
- Place 20 pieces of Cocktail Flatbread into mixture and allow to sit for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Heat flat-bottomed frying pan to a medium heat, and add butter and vegetable oil.
- Pan-fry Cocktail Flatbreads for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
- Serve with assorted toppings, and have fun personalizing each Petite French Toast.
Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads, which contain no trans-fat and are 100% vegetarian, come in 20-piece retail packs. Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads are versatile – they can be used as the basis for a simple appetizer for a family gathering or as part of an elegant hors d'oeuvre at a wedding reception. Not just a substitute for crackers, they can be warmed or lightly toasted for use right out of the package, or made into two-inch-rounds of French toast & topped, or flash-deep-fried for dipping.
Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.