Thursday, July 7, 2016

Book Nook: It Is Only Money

I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Money doesn't grow on trees." But it actually does in the title of a new book I got to review, It Is Only Money - and It Grows on Trees.

The book takes a novel approach to explaining money to readers. In the context of a classroom discussion, the role of money across cultures and religions is explored. It was interesting for me to read some of the religious perspectives on money - especially the Hindu philosophy - and also to read how author Cara MacMillan compares Christ's parable of the talents to using our own talents.

Any time there's a comparison using religion, there's always the danger of taking things out of context, and I have no way of knowing whether or not that's the case here for the Muslim, Hindu, or Jewish perspectives. I do know that I haven't ever heard the parallel made between this parable and our own income, so it did provide a very different viewpoint. I did like the encouragement to find a passion instead of just doing a job, and I thought the book was a very clear and comprehensible read.

No comments:

Post a Comment