Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Book Nook: Drawing Books from Quarto Publishing

I've mentioned before how much my daughter loves art. Her birthday is coming up, so I used the opportunity to review some new titles for an early birthday/back-to-school present. She was excited about all of them, and I'm going to write this review in her words.

Stick Sketch School: An Animal Artventure - Mastering the Art of Stick Figure Critters by Billy Attinger and Rachel Kochackis - I love animals, and I love drawing. Usually I like drawing more realistic-looking animals, but this book showed me that stick animals can be fun too. My mom liked it because stick animals are easier to draw, but mine still looked better. She says I'm more creative in art than she is. It is faster to draw stick animals, and they make good cartoons.

Catdoodles by Akiko Masuda - I squealed when I saw this book. Cats are my absolute favorite! I love it especially because I can turn cute cats into jungle cats too. This cat book is so happy and cute, and every page is different so I got lots of different ideas. I can never have enough cat drawing books, since I can't get a cat myself. There are even dancing cats and kitty cats wearing cute outfits in this book!

Kawaii Doodle Class by Zainab Khan - I thought my sister would like this better because she likes Japan, but apparently not drawing. And she doesn't like the word "cute," so after she found out that's what Kawaii meant, she didn't like it. That's ok because I didn't have to share. I learned that simple drawings can be really neat too, and these are perfect for adding to notes to my friends, drawing on my book covers, and using on envelopes with my pen pals.

I thought all three books were fun for budding artists. They were open-ended and allowed for lots of creativity while encouraging kids to check out different styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment