Saturday, October 28, 2017

Enriching Education: Thimbe

Subscription boxes are great - they provide a gift that keeps on giving. That provides a lot of variety, which can be really intriguing for kids, and fun to get mail throughout the year.

I had a chance to see a box from Thimble, which was created for children 13+ to learn how to build electronics. Some kits have included wifi-enabled robots, LED cubes, quadcopters, alarm clocks, and more. Each month a new project comes with information and explanations. After the kit is received, kids can log on to the Learning Platform to find coding lessons and video instructions. Projects can be customized and shared with the private online community of subscribers. 

My kids are just a little young for the box's target age, but my older daughter has a very strong interest in science and coding, and as a math teacher married to an IT guy who loves to build his own computers, we had fun with the project too! I wish this kit had been around when I was younger - my brother and I would've loved this (who am I kidding, he and I still would).


It does require basic tools for small electronics, including a soldering iron and wire cutters. If you have those, though, it's a great gift for kids who like to tinker and learn, and are more advanced than other science boxes for kids! If you're interested, you can save 10% using code 
MOMMOMENT.


No comments:

Post a Comment