Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Enriching Education: Janice Condon Interview

Jan Maximov Condon is an occupational therapist with a special interest in nutrition, and in her delightful children’s books, Ewww! Lulu Meets the King of Poo and Lulu! How Do You? (How Do You What? Be Good to Your Gut!), Jan uses unforgettable characters (like Emily Enzyme) and clever rhymes to introduce the concepts of digestion and healthy food choices to children.

 I had a chance to interview her to learn more. 

Why did you write these books? 

I wrote my 2 stories -(I still have a 3rd I’m working on) because of my need to share this  passion I have about gut microbes….a whole universe right here inside each of us! It’s so  amazing to me…and that this knowledge and it’s important link to health was virtually ignored  by the health community for so many years. I guess that’s what makes me want to share it all  the more… 

In all truth, I don’t consider myself a typical author- I learned about the presence of gut  microbes when I was 55 and found nutrition healed my many health problems with nutrient  dense and fermented foods- from a Weston A Price group. It was a real, positive turning point  in my life and I wanted to shout it out loud to everyone I knew how powerful nutrition is and  that the right foods can turn a person’s health around. 


How do you make scientific topics like microbes and food choices accessible for kids to  understand? 


What better way to share this information? A children’s book, of course! It has to be funny children love rhymes- needs to be scientifically accurate, and delightfully illustrated. The  children will learn and the pre readers will be read to by their parents who will hopefully get  something from it as well. 

Before Covid, I loved to read Ewww! Lulu Meets the King of Poo to local classrooms grades  1-5. I’d scan my audience and see their enraptured faces, all leaning forward for the next  words. Even the squiggly kids were rapt in attention! Afterwards I always made time for  questions and answers and so many questions! Then I’d ask them to get up and dance to Do  the Acidophilus Hula!- I’d bring my portable keyboard or on my IPad website: janmaxcon.com.  Nutrition and movement: a great combination! 

We all had so much fun! Many questions were about what was healthy to eat and so my  second book was born…more complex- a graphic novel (comic book) with Lulu asking her  organs and gut microbes “What are your favorite- and Least favorite foods?!” Sugar Always on  the Least favorite list. Lulu How Do You? (How Do You? How Do You What? Be Good to Your  Gut!) 

Why is it important for kids to learn about their digestion system and health early? 

It’s so important for kids to learn about their digestion and how it is linked to their health before  bad habits become ingrained in them, while their minds are still receptive and open to information.

Ewww! Lulu Meets the King of Poo - $9.95 

Lulu How Do You? (How Do You? Be Good to your Gut!) $9.95 Graphic Novel (high quality  comic book) 

Both books available on Amazon. Also IngramSparks at slightly higher prices.

You can also learn more in this previous interview.



No comments:

Post a Comment