Friday, April 26, 2024

Music Minute - Brady Rymer on New Single “D Is For Dancing,” Collaborating with Matt Beck of Matchbox Twenty, and Favorite ABC Songs




Brady Rymer is a three-time Grammy-nominated children’s musician who has been playing music for kids and families for more than 20 years. His latest single is “D Is For Dancing,” is a ‘60s-style rocker written to get kids up and moving while learning their ABCs. The new music video is out now! In this Q&A with Brady, he talks about his lyric writing process for the song, favorite memories of teaching his kids the ABCs, and the artist who always gets him up and dancing. 






How did you come up with the lyrics to “D Is For Dancing?”

It all started when I wanted to write a new song that would get kids and parents up and dancing at the end of a show. So, I started singing the simplest thing: “D is for Dancing.” It’s hard to really remember; songwriting is always a bit of a blur. Then I started scatting funny “D” words and silly dance moves. I think I was subconsciously rejecting the obvious, that this song could become a new ABC song. Once I figured that out, I knew I had to start with A and move my way through the alphabet to Z. It became a really fun game after that, trying to piece it all together and find fun ways to use the letters by adding a lot of alliteration, and making the words relate to music and dancing somehow. It all came together pretty quickly once I figured out what I was going to sing about. I even managed to fit in the original ABC song at the end!


Which rock ‘n’ roll artists inspired the song’s sound?

This one has a ‘50s and ‘60s rock ‘n’ roll soul sound. It was some of the first music I loved as a kid: Motown on the radio and my mom and dad’s record collection of Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard. It seemed like this could be a fun, old-school way to dance to the alphabet. Then when we were recording, our keyboardist Seth Farber added glockenspiel (a bell-like xylophone sound). It was a perfect touch and gave the song a bit more of a Springsteen vibe.


Do you have any special guests on the song? 

Yes, Matt Beck of Matchbox Twenty played electric guitar on this. It was cool to have him give it a modern energy and sound. I really like all of the different elements, old and new, working together on this one. 


How did you connect with Matt? 

He’s friends with our engineer/producer Ken Rich. Ken thought he would be perfect for this new song and album, and he was right! Matt was off tour for a few days and popped by the studio for an incredibly inspiring session. He’s an amazing, special player, and an all-around great guy! 


What are you thinking about musically when you’re writing a song to get kids dancing?

The subject has to be relatable kids and also something that inspires me. And then the rhythm is key—making sure it’s a fun and easy groove that they can move along to. It has to have a joyful energy that’s bright and inviting. Then it’s great if you have a musical hook that is catchy and that they can easily grab on to, singing along and letting themselves go!


What do you remember about teaching your kids their ABCs?

I remember the little letters that they would use for bathtime, sticking them on the wall, the tub, and on themselves! We have a few sweet pictures of our kids with their first letters of their names stuck all over them during bathtime.


What are some other songs about learning the ABCs that you like?

Funny you should ask! I just put together a playlist—ABC Songs for Kids—with some of my favorites. Ones I knew as a kid, ones I was introduced to when I had young kids, and some brand new gems that I just discovered. There are some really creative ones out there. That’s what I was looking for when I wrote “D Is For Dancing.” How do you rewrap the same package in a cool, different, creative, personal kind of way?


What kind of music ALWAYS gets you up and dancing? 

Lots of kinds, but James Brown always does the trick! When my wife and I were dating, we were at a party and then James Brown came on and we were up dancing for hours. We were the only ones left dancing! That sealed the deal for me. Motown as well, anything with a swinging beat, and of course, the Bo Diddley rhythm. Just can’t stop my legs from wobbling, my arms from wiggling, and me acting like a dancing fool!


No comments:

Post a Comment