Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Book Nook: Manga Art

My older daughter absolutely loves to draw and is starting to get into anime-style eyes and faces. My younger daughter loves ninjas and, as a result, is obsessed with Japan. Both of them are excited about a book I got to review, Manga Art: Inspiration and Techniques from an Expert Illustrator.

I thought this was a really interesting book, even though I'm not really into drawing myself. The author does a good job about explaining what makes manga its own style, but then also looks at different ways of incorporating manga elements in other styles, or incorporating non-traditional time periods in manga. For example, at one point there's a steampunk-manga drawing.

The book is honestly well done for a variety of ages. There is a wealth of information about the creative process and tools used, which make it appropriate for advanced artists and adults. Yet, the subject matter and accessible explanations mean that even older kids will be able to get something out of the book. It's a great gift for anyone interested in creating their own manga art.


"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment