Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Book Nook: Benji Bounces Back - A Story About What It’s Like to Need Physical Therapy

When a child experiences a serious injury for the first time, it can be scary for both the child and their caretakers. Taking the mystery out of physical therapy and adding in a little fun is Benji Bounces Back: A Story About What It’s Like to Need Physical Therapy by Smita Charate. As a physical therapist, Charate saw a need for an effective and compassionate way to introduce children to the concept of physical therapy and so she came up with Benji’s story.

I had a chance to review the story. It's a fun, optimistic story that will be appropriate for nearly any injury or condition. I also really appreciated that it had suggestions for talking to kids about physical therapy, as well as clear explanations of terms often used during physical therapy.

I had a chance to interview Charate to learn more.

1) Why did you decide to write this book?
As a mother when I used to go to the public library I always found books on a child’s first visit to the dentist, to a doctor or other fields but not to physical therapy. In my 30 years of working as a physical therapist I observed that when parents scheduled their first Physical therapy evaluation session with me they often asked me if there were any resources to prepare their child for the visit so they do not get anxious or cry. I looked and looked and couldn’t find a single resource which explained what to experience during a first physical therapy session.My husband encouraged me to write a book myself. I also wanted to give back to the community what I had gathered over my last 3 decades of physical therapy clinical experience working with children.

2) Why is it easy for some kids to get discouraged during Physical therapy?
Physical therapy involves activities/ exercises to improve/ restore function, strength, balance, coordination and achieve optimal developmental milestones. During the rehabilitation process some kids may find it difficult, challenging and struggle to achieve these goals. The book emphasizes the importance of following through on the home program recommended by their Physical Therapist.  Complying with some of the home exercises will help children achieve their goals faster and more easily.

3) What are some other ways parents can make Physical therapy manageable for kids?
It is very crucial that parents make Physical therapy experience positive. They can discuss with their child about what to expect and be realistic. Parents can communicate the very importance of complying with the Physical therapists instructions at home with their child and provide a feedback about the home exercise program. They can talk to them about the goals discussed and make their child understand that all the hard work will help accomplish those goals. The book explains how the Physical therapist makes the sessions filled with activities which are fun and play based.

No comments:

Post a Comment