Thursday, February 18, 2021

David Krehbiel Interview

 I had a chance to interview David Krehbiel, world renowned horn player. I had previously interviewed him about his book Through the Door: A Horn-Player's Journey, now I got to go more in-depth about dyslexia and other issues.

1.    How early did your interest in music develop?

Music came naturally for me. I was surrounded by music from birth. My father sang in church choirs, my mother played the organ in church and was an accomplished pianist and piano teacher. Our church, the First Mennonite Church in Reedley, California had three choirs and a congregation of about 400 who sang together in 4 part harmony that made you feel like you were in a massive choir. I had three sisters who played the piano and we would often stand around the piano in the evenings and sing while my mother played the piano. In fourth grade I learned to play the trumpet but fell in love with the french horn when I started high school, and I never turned back. It became my life.

 

2.    Was there a lot of pressure to succeed? How did you deal with it?

Since I wasn’t succeeding well in school I was looking for something to be successful at. The french horn just came easily. I didn’t feel any particular pressure. The pressure is in the competition, in having to be better than the other players.

 

3.    How did dyslexia contribute to pressure to succeed?

School was difficult for me. No one knew about dyslexia then, not even teachers. I just assumed I wasn’t smart enough to succeed in school. I wonder how many other students in my class had the same problem. I had a terrible time remembering how to spell words and couldn’t memorize times tables. I was intimidated by my teachers because I couldn’t remember things they tried to teach us, and I was afraid they would scold me for not paying attention. Music was the first thing that came easily for me. I didn’t have to work hard at it. It didn’t give me a feeling of inferiority.

 

4.    What advice would you give to young people who excel at something?

Don’t waste time comparing yourself to others at the expense of your own success.

No comments:

Post a Comment