Thursday, June 3, 2021

Book Nook: Legacy Speaks


I had a chance to interview Wife & Mom, Amanda Rumore; co-author of a new Inspirational Best Seller. Her story begins with her 40-feet fall from an Energy Vortex in the Red Rocks of Sedona, AZ, as her 4 year old daughter and husband watched. Amanda was airlifted to a near-by hospital with little chance of survival. In the hospital for nearly a month, Amanda suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury, cracked vertebrae, broken bones and temporary memory loss. She didn't wake up for days and in the times when she was up, she often thought she was 15 years old. Her ability to live a normal life seemed nearly impossible.

The book Legacy Speaksis a collective effort of 25 powerful female leaders who penned inspiration and motivation for other females answering questions such as “What will I leave behind?", "What type of impact will I make on the planet?", "What type of impact will I make on the planet?", and most simply, “Who am I?”. They have gone to the depths of who they are - the deepest parts of themselves, their traumas, their healing, and their joy to further understand the meaning of life and legacy.

How can trauma actually strengthen a marriage?

At a time of trauma, life often becomes fight or flight. You’re either in, or out. Couples are suddenly faced with new challenges, which present more opportunities for growth and new variations of intimacy.

 My husband watched as I fell 40 feet in the red rocks of Sedona – he can still hear the sounds my head made as it crashed down that Energy Vortex. He then triaged me as he held our terrified 4-year-old daughter and fought with 9-11 to ensure they sent a helicopter. With a traumatic brain injury, during my recovery I often believed I was 15-years-old living in Illinois with my family. We were both left feeling broken. Somehow, we found the courage and love to heal together as we focused on the future of our family.  I can honestly say that today, we are in the best place we’ve ever been.

What tips do you have for parents and caregivers who may be trying to parent while also undergoing a major medical issue?

Recovery - or struggling with medical issues - is a huge undertaking.  As a parent, it adds even more pressure.  But remember that you must heal as best as possible for your family’s longevity.  My best advice is to take care of yourself and rely on your trusted circle.  “It does take a village,” and this is a crucial time to utilize just that. Also be conscious of your time.  Children need love and time, so even if it’s a fraction of what you’d like for it to be, show up as best as possible. 

 I now understand I survived my trauma and navigated through recovery based on my addiment determination to be a mom. I made unprecedented achievements that still don’t make much sense, to either me or my medical team. Even in the earliest days or recovery, I had a heavy hand in my daughter’s life.  But at that time, I also gave trust to my inner circle so I had time and energy to prioritize my recovery.

What role can practices like yoga and meditation play in healing?

Research suggests that yoga, breathwork, and meditation can reduce stress, promote healing, and enhance quality of life.   I believe that healing often comes from within, and during trauma our hidden superpowers can be activated.  These techniques help tap into our energy, become grounded with the universe, and FEEL our bodies. By practicing these, you can better align your mind, body, and spirit.

 After experiencing my trauma, my mind was immediately drawn towards yoga, breathwork, and meditation. Although I had incorporated these in the past, in my present-day world, they presented many new challenges.  When practicing basic beginner yoga, I often had severe dizzy spells.  Through meditation, I could not sit still for too long without feeling anxiously fearful.  With breathwork, my breaths were short and uneven.  Through perseverance plus trials and tribulations, I moved forward. 


No comments:

Post a Comment