Monday, June 21, 2021

Book Nook: Sustainable Minimalism and Joy of Minimalism

 Every summer I do a major cleaning of the house. I'm a teacher and this is my chance to go through and cull as much as I can. Each time I do it, it gets easier, because my kids are also starting to realize  how much time it saves to have less stuff cluttering everywhere. We're certainly not perfect at it, but more and more we're finding that the things in our house are truly things that are worth keeping.

I know we can always do better, though, so I was happy to review these two books from Mango Publishing.

Sustainable Minimalism

This book looks at two aspects that are related - minimalism, and the environment. If we can reduce our consumption and the stuff we have, it means that we are, in the end, creating less waste and using fewer materials. This book doesn't add a lot of new info compared to other books about reducing clutter and living a minimalist lifestyle, but it does provide a powerful motive for doing so. If you are concerned about the environment, this is a great book to read to reinforce how the stuff you buy and keep really does matter. It does provide practical tips as well for how to move towards a more sustainable lifestyle with a minimalist approach.

The Joy of Minimalism

I like the focus of this book - about how a minimalist life can bring more joy. It makes sense - more clutter leads to more time cleaning and looking through it, which can lead to more stress. Less clutter, then, can improve your stress level which can make it easier to be happy. This book includes journaling to help readers reflect on their journey towards living a more minimalist life.

No comments:

Post a Comment