Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Book Nook: It's Raining Tacos

 Based on the viral YouTube sensation, this fun, tasty, spec-taco-ular picture book and sing-along is perfect for fans of Giraffes Can’t Dance and Dragons Love Tacos! Complete with never-before-sung lyrics, this goofy song-turned-book is for everyone in the family to enjoy, giving everyone something to taco-bout. 


It’s Raining Tacos
 is by YouTube sensation and Emmy Award-winning songwriter and recording artist Parry Gripp and a zany, catchy, crunchy time to celebrate everyone’s favorite snack. Gripp’s songs have appeared in Disney’s The 7D, the Cartoon Network’s Ben 10: Omniverse, and Marvel Super Hero Squad. Award-winning illustrator Peter Emmerich has worked with DreamWorks and the Walt Disney Company, illustrating the U.S. Postal Service’s “Art of Disney” stamp series. 


You can learn more in this interview.

Tell us about the idea that turned It’s Raining Tacos from a catchy song to a kids book! Was there a moment you decided to put the tune to paper?

I have to admit - it wasn’t my idea! My editor came to me and asked if I’d thought about expanding some of the little stories I tell in my songs into actual books. I loved her idea!


Soon, I was totally immersed in visions of Raining Tacos. I sometimes collaborate with my wife Aylene and she helped me organize my thoughts to create the wacky backstory that sets this wild taco storm in motion. We hope readers will enjoy it as much as we do. We are thrilled with Peter Emmerich’s illustrations which perfectly capture the humor and joy of the story!



How can parents and caregivers find quality books for kids?

The best way to find new favorite books is right in your neighborhood. Your local librarian or independent bookseller will know exactly what the good stuff is - let them guide you! I live in Santa Barbara and am so glad to still have Chaucer’s Books. They have an amazing kids section. Of course, blogs like this one are a wonderful source of info on books and other great resources for children.


What is your favorite piece of advice for increasing literacy and reading skills in kids? How might music play a role in this?

My mom gets all the credit for my reading skills. As kids, my sister and I were lucky to have our mother working at our elementary school as our school librarian. As she welcomed children into the world of reading with kindness and patience, she was fantastic at matching them up with books that sparked their unique interests and imaginations. She read to us and understood that kids are naturally drawn to books with lovable characters, exciting plots, and compelling illustrations.


But, you don’t have to be a professional librarian to explore and enjoy books with the kids in your life. Through the simple habit of reading out loud together, you can delight in the rhythm and repetition in the words of your favorite books - like you would with your favorite songs! When you enjoy the sounds of words it gets easier to see how they match up with the letters on the page.


Recently, I’ve been reading Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina to my wife and our pet rabbit Bruno. It’s a famously long (some say too long) book but we’re having fun with it - even the bunny. Reading out loud is a great thing to do together!


What do you hope readers will take away from your book and music?

“It’s Raining Tacos,” both this new book and the song, is a celebration of spontaneous imaginative fun. I hope all of my work inspires others to delight in their own creativity. Each one of us has the total freedom to discover, imagine, and tell stories about the happy, joyous, and funny things that surround us every day. Creativity is boundless. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment