Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Book Nook: Women in the Bible - Small Group Study

 I recently had a chance to see a copy of the small group Bible study Women in the Bible. Right off the bat one thing I loved is that the video series that goes along with the study is completely free - it's not an extra purchase of a DVD or anything like that. I really like it when the study authors make all of the supplemental materials included, especially now that it's so easy to share materials on a digital basis.

As far as the actual study itself, I liked it. I've done studies on women in the Bible before, and it's been important to me to make sure that my two daughters get a strong sense of the role that women played in the Bible. The study looks at leadership, character, redemption, justice, and more. Even though I've learned about a lot of female Biblical characters, I still found new things to learn in this study.

Most of the women are women that I've read quite a bit about, although Tamar was less familiar, and I've never really seen a study that looked at the midwives in Exodus - so right off the bat I knew that I was going to gain a little bit of a fresh perspective. To get a sense of the style of the study, you can check out the free chapter currently availableEach chapter provides context, discussion questions, thoughtful reflections, and closing prayers.

Marina Hofman (PhD, theology) is an interdisciplinary scholar and award-winning writer known for fresh insights, a positive perspective, and a compassionate approach to the Bible. Her engaging, relevant style inspires readers to personally connect with the stories of women in the Bible. As a s survivor of a life-threatening trauma, Marina has personally experienced  God’s power of redemption and is passionate  about inspiring faith and hope in others. She is published in the fields of biblical studies, theology, psychology, trauma, education, ministry, and ethics.

 

Dr. Hofman is a faculty member in the school of ministry at Palm Beach Atlantic University, West Palm Beach, Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment