Thursday, October 6, 2022

Book Nook: Journey to Reinvention (Author Interview)


 I recently wrote a post highlighting the book The Journey to Reinvention by the creator of The School of Reinvention. I had a chance to learn more in this interview.

Why did you write this book?

I wrote The Journey to Reinvention because in May of 2020, while the world was locked down for the global pandemic, I was laid off from my company along with over 10,000 other people. A dear mentor, Jennifer, inspired me to help those laid off with me to prepare for what might very well be their first major career reinvention.  She called on me for this challenge because I had already reinvented myself many times before and she had faith in me that I could help my colleagues.  

So with only 4 weeks left at the company, I launched a reinvention mastermind that eventually recruited over 750 people for calls that I hosted every other day. As I prepared content for these sessions, it dawned on me that I might actually have a book here. 

This wasn’t the first time I wanted to write a book, but it was the first time I had a purpose this powerful to write one. I wondered how many more people I could help if I wrote a book on this topic. 

Two years later, The Journey to Reinvention launched into the world and I am doing everything I can to bring it to as many people as possible to help them envision and build a life aligned with their values, passion, and purpose. 


Why is it important to make sure our lives are aligned with our values and passion?

In my research for The Journey to Reinvention, I found that people who live a life aligned with their values, passion, and purpose unleash their best selves and build their best lives.  

When we live life on our terms, pursuing what matters to us, we become who we are meant to be. Life on our terms doesn’t mean that everything works out perfectly, however, it does mean that when you live an aligned life, you can enjoy the ups and appreciate the downs. There will be down moments, however, when you live an aligned life, they don’t have the power to devastate you because you are grounded firmly in who you really are and what matters to you. 

I’ve been fired, laid off, dumped, divorced, ghosted by an employer, bullied by senior leaders, and in over $150K in debt. None of those things were fun things to experience, but I was always grounded in the parts of my life that were aligned with who I really was and what mattered to me. Sometimes it was a job that I loved, even if it didn’t make me rich. Other times I had the support of loved ones who lifted me when I was down. 

When we live a life aligned with our values, passion, and purpose, our best self shows up and that version of us can weather the challenges that inevitably come our way.


How can people identify their purpose?

The most effective way I have found to identify our purpose is to consistently meet new people, adopt other perspectives, try out new potential interests (more than once), and ask ourselves new questions. 

Our purpose is often something we need to develop, not find. 

In my case, I found my purpose when I took on a part time job tutoring math at a learning center after I got home from my day job. I spent no more than 6-8 hours per week at the learning center tutoring math and in the process I fell in love with helping students break through limiting beliefs and unleash their potential on math.

Doing this for a year, I was convinced this was worth pursuing and I made the difficult decision to leave my day job and begin moving in a direction more aligned with helping people unleash their best self.

Finding or developing your purpose doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time, but it starts by taking action. Get involved, try out new potential interests, and really give them a chance. I often call this “dating potential passions.”  But don’t quit after one date, give it a few more dates because usually, passions take time to develop. They are rarely “found” and most often cultivated over time. 

In The Journey to Reinvention, I share stories about how I developed my passions along the journey.  The great thing about the journey is that you’ll develop more than one passion and purpose along the way and your mission is to adapt and adjust your life accordingly so that you are always living life in alignment with who you are and what matters to you. 



Roger Osorio is an author, reinvention expert, and founder of The School of Reinvention, a community-based coaching platform empowering people to launch and succeed in personal and career reinvention. Roger works with companies such as Google, Citibank, Orlando Magic, Chase, LVMH, and Mastercard. Roger grew up in the projects in a predominantly Latino neighborhood in New Jersey and Spanish was his first language. After graduating from Penn State University, Roger worked for many years at a Fortune 500 company in marketing and sales. In 2008, after falling in love with a part-time job tutoring math, he quit his day job to become a teacher. He changed careers again, going back into corporate as an executive coach and trainer before developing his current path. Along his journey, Roger has earned a master’s degree in psychology, an M.B.A., and reinvented himself into an international speaker, math teacher, executive coach, entrepreneur, and author. When Roger isn’t writing or coaching, he teaches entrepreneurship at University of Pennsylvania and Sarah Lawrence College.  For more information on Roger, visit his website, https://rogerosorio.com/book/.

No comments:

Post a Comment