Thursday, August 14, 2014

Consumer Critique: This is the Water

Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.

I recently read a book by Yannick Murphy called "This is the Water." Like the title, the whole book is actually written in second person, a rarely-used perspective for novels (instead of first-person "I" narratives or third-person "he/she" narratives). Like the second-person voice "me," this technique draws the reader in with a unique feeling about the book. It's a little odd to get accustomed to, but it allowed for more ownership of the story, really getting into the perspectives of the characters.

The book is a murder mystery, but so much more. It also examines many facets of suburbia, from high-priced club sports to spouses who have grown distant from each other. I really enjoyed reading it, for the unique second-person perspective, and also for the commentary on societal issues. If you like mysteries, this is well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment