1. Strengthen your password: The best strategy for protecting your information is to use a strong password that contains upper and lowercase letters as well as numbers and symbols. Consider using numbers and symbols that resemble letters to strengthen your password while keeping it easy to recall, e.g., “B@seb@11” instead of “baseball.”
2. Use a different password for each secure site and change it every 30-60 days: When a data breach occurs, cyber criminals often sell the information to third parties before the theft is detected. If you change your password regularly, you’ll have a better chance of ensuring that a new login protocol is in effect when the third-party buyer tries to use your password.
3. Password-protect mobile phones and tablets: Many people these days use their personal devices for work, and if the device is lost or stolen, cyber thieves may be able to log in and collect sensitive company data – as well as personal account information. Use a strong password on all of your devices to keep information safer.
4. Don’t fall for phishing scams: So-called “phishing” scams occur when a cyber thief calls or emails while posing as a banking or merchant account official and attempts to collect login information. A sophisticated scammer can create a website that looks very much like a legitimate site. Never give out account information via email or over the phone.
5. Don’t leave desktops or laptops unattended in the office with a browser open: It only takes a few seconds for someone to use an open browser to collect login information and copy passwords, so make sure to shut down the browser or lock your screen if you’re going to be away from your computer, even for just a minute or two.
6. Make sure employees know how to keep company information safe: In the “bring your own device” (BYOD) era, it’s more important than ever to make sure team members understand how to operate safely online using their own devices or company equipment. Provide employees with the training and resources they need to operate devices safely.